Nouns, also known as naming words, are the first speech we learn in English grammar classes. Nouns can be referred to as anything that we see, touch, smell, hear, taste, and hold. They are the part of the speech which comprises words used to name people, animals, objects, places, and ideas. Additionally, every sentence contains a noun and has a different role. Nouns can be used as a subject, direct or indirect, adjectives, and verbs. Following are the types of nouns-
· Proper Nouns- These are used to name a person, place, or thing and always begin with a capital letter.
· Common Nouns refer to a generic item, place, or group.
· Singular Nouns- These are the words used to name a single place, person, bird, object, or animal.
· Plural Nouns- These refer to several people, animals, places, and things.
· Countable Nouns- These are the nouns that can be counted or measured
· Collective Nouns- This noun is a word used to denote a group of animals, objects, or people.