Remote proctoring is an examination system which allows students to take an online examination at a remote location while ensuring the integrity of the exam. This system requires students to confirm their identity; while the certified human proctor monitors the students through online Webcam proctoring, looking for behaviour that could indicate the use of unfair means.
Remote proctoring ensures that remote testing is secure and trustworthy. The remote proctor uses the computer webcam to verify the candidate’s identity and survey the surrounding. The candidates are monitored for the duration of the test via webcam, and microphone and by accessing the screen of the candidate’s device which can be a laptop, PC, mobile phone or tablet.
- The online proctoring tool empowers the proctor to have more control over the candidate’s browsers throughout the examination.
- Remote proctoring is fair, cost-effective, time-saving, convenient and secure for organizations and candidates both.
- It accommodates global accessibility to candidates. The assessment results are quickly delivered and certificates can be downloaded by the candidates themselves.
- Remote proctoring can accommodate upto 100k candidates at one go.
- There is no fear of system breakdown as the online proctoring exam tools are SaaS-based, which means they are hosted over the cloud servers for optimum performance.
Remote proctoring too has certain limitations.
- This system is prone to cyber-attacks. Technological glitches may happen.
- There is a limitation in question types, chances of cheating are wide.
One has to weigh the pros and cons before opting for any system.