Education – Primary School Education

The initial stage of formal education is primary education, sometimes known as elementary education. After preschool or pre-primary education (which provides early education to children before they start primary school), pupils enter this level before secondary school.

  • The primary school level of education is further divided into lower and upper primary, with pupils in the age groups 6-10 and 11-12 being placed in the lower and upper primary, respectively.
  • Lower primary refers to classes 1 through 4, whereas upper primary, sometimes known as middle school, refers to classes 5 through 8.
  • The government runs or supports 80 percent of the School Analytics, that provide basic education in India, making it the country’s largest education provider.
  • Primary education was created to provide a fundamental education in reading, writing, mathematics, and a rudimentary comprehension of other disciplines. 

India has achieved great progress in recent decades in terms of schooling access and primary enrolment rates, but dropout rates and low levels of learning remain difficulties for the state and federal governments.

The government has taken a number of steps to address the issues and improve the education of primary school kids. The District Education Revitalisation Programme (DERP) was launched in 1994 by the Indian government to restructure and revitalize the country’s existing primary education system.

The central government of India was in charge of 85 percent of the DERP, while the states were in charge of the remaining 15 percent. It resulted in 1.6 lakh schools across the country, with 84,000 schools providing alternative education to 35 lakh pupils.