State Council of Educational Research and Training (SCERT) was established on 5th January 1979 as a result of the transformation and gradation of the former State Institute of Education (SIE). The State Council of Educational Research and Training has a Programme Advisory Committee under the chairmanship of the Education Minister.
The State Council of Educational Research and Training discharge the following functions:
- To organize and implement the special educational projects sponsored by UNICEF, NCERT, and other agencies for qualitative improvement of school education and teacher educator
- To prescribe curricula and textbooks for the school and teacher training institutions.
- To produce instructional materials for the use of teacher-educators.
- To arrange in-service training for different categories of teachers, inspect officers and teacher-educators, and coordinate the work of other agencies operating at the state level.
- To organize programs including Correspondence-cum- Contact Courses for professional development of teachers, teacher-educators, and inspecting officers
- To supervise the working of the Teacher-Training Colleges, School Analytics, Secondary Training Schools, and Elementary Training Schools.
- To provide extension service to Teacher-Training Institutions at all levels in the state.
- To conduct studies and investigations on the various problems of education.
- To evaluate the adult and non-formal education programs entrusted by the Government.
- To conduct the public examinations, especially at terminal stages like the end of Class HI and Class IV, etc. to select candidates for scholarships through such examination